Week 1

I have been in Oregon for approximately two weeks now. I didn't start classes until January 7th so today marks a week that I've been in school. Life is dramatically different here. Academically, there is no significant deviation between the rigor and workload of the University of South Carolina and the University of Oregon. Oregon is quicker paced, however, considering they are on a quarter system that ends in 10 weeks rather than South Carolina's 14 week semester system. Students here dress differently. Intuitively, there is no Southern Tide or Vineyard Vines. The main brand of apparel here is Vans. The average student at the University of Oregon would likely be classified as a "hipster" at the University of South Carolina. The sentiment around the University and Eugene in general is certainly more liberal than of the one in South Carolina. There are all gender bathrooms throughout campus and there are dispensaries on almost every corner. The oxygen here feels extremely crisp and the vegetation is a bit greener (not an allusion to marijuana). I have been enjoying it a lot here, and I feel I'm still in the honeymoon phase since I have only been here for two weeks. I live in a studio apartment that is a 10 minute walk to campus, but I have been fortunate enough to meet a few people and connect myself within the University. I have mainly been trying to adjust to my new life and prepare myself for the 6 month journey here in Oregon. I'm excited to see what challenges the coming weeks will bring me. 

Comments

  1. We are excited to follow your experience in Oregon! Glad you have settled in and you are meeting friends. -Jess UofSC NSE Grad Assistant

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 & 6

Week 17 & 18