Week 5 & 6

The past week and a half has been incredibly busy for me between managing school, my mom visiting, and doing other trips around Oregon. I went to Portland last Wednesday with the school to see the Portland Trailblazers play the Golden State Warriors. It was a really interesting experience because I have never been to an NBA game before and being able to see the best players like Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant play in front of my eyes was rather surreal. I also got to meet some kind international students and listen to their perspectives on adapting to a new region. My mom came to visit me last Thursday, and I rented a car and picked her up from the airport to drive to Seattle. The roads in Oregon and Washington are immensely better than in South Carolina and people drive extremely slow. I haven't driven a car since I left South Carolina so it was actually kind of therapeutic to be able to drive through the mountain side and listen to music. Seattle was a beautiful city although it's grey, cold, and rainy. The people are also polite but not very friendly if that makes sense. I'm just used to Southern hospitality although I realize that Southerners aren't always genuine in their kindness. Nonetheless, the architecture and technology in Seattle was impressive. I rode the ferry and was surprised to see that cars from a town called Bainbridge (9 miles away across the bay) would drive onto the ferry and park and then drive off when the ferry reached Seattle. I was completely unaware that this was a method of transportation and found it rather humorous. I have really been enjoying the experience and have been learning a lot about myself. I like Oregon and the University a lot, but I miss home and find myself looking forward to seeing my friends and family again in the summer. Below I attached some pictures. One is me in front of the space needle in Seattle, the other was taken at the beach in Florence the first week I arrived (about an hour west of Eugene), and the last was the Trailblazers game in Portland last Wednesday. Until next week,


-Ben 





Comments

  1. Ben- Looks like you had a great week! Glad your mom was able to visit and you were able to explore different cities. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts. -Jess

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 17 & 18